Friday, December 31, 2010

Stacking (Quilt) Blocks

Sophie's Stacks Block #3This 10 inch block (finished size) is my variation on the traditional Chinese coins quilt pattern.  Each block is unique as you decide how evenly (or not) you will stack the fabric coins.

I'm calling it "Stacks."

It's a great scrap-buster and is easily made from 2-1/2 inch wide noodles or jelly rolls.

For the January Block Lotto, we are making this block in scrappy bright fabrics–solids, tone-on-tones, hand-dyes, batiks, plaids, florals, novelties, geometric or any kind of prints with a white background.

DSCN5794CUT THE FABRICS

All the pieces you need for this block ar 2-1/2 inches wide.

For one block you'll need:

10 white (background) rectangles cut 2-1/2 by 3 inches
5 different bright (focus fabrics) rectangles cut 2-1/2 by 8 inches

ASSEMBLE THE BLOCK
  1. Sew a white background rectangle to each end of each of the strips of focus fabric.  Press all seams toward the focus fabric.

    Sew Background rectangles to each side of each strip

  2. Arrange your stack--do NOT line up any of the seams ... and you won't have to worry about matching them when you sew the rows together.

    Arrange your "Stack"

  3. Sew your stack together as you have arranged it.

    Sew the strips together as arranged

  4. Trim your block to 10-1/2 inches square, making sure there is at least 1/2 inch of white background on each side of the bright strips.

    Trim block to 10-1/2 inches square
Example Blocks

Here's a bunch of stacks made by some of the Block Lotto sneak peekers--more than you would need to make even a California Kingsize bed quilt.


For a closer look at the individual blocks, check out my flickr set Bright Stacks.

Thanks to Benta, Caroline, Cathy, Debbie, Julie, Kate, Laurina, Maree, Mary Jane, Michelle, Rho and Sara for the photos of their blocks.

5 comments:

lisa said...

I am super excited about this one! Thank you!

free indeed said...

I should be joining in this month. I get so busy the last months of the year. I would have liked to do the tree block...I love trees!

zizzybob said...

I like this one a lot, especially the ones with busy, busy fabrics. I see some childrens charity quilts in my future

Janet said...

I would like to join you again this month been missing the projects the last few times this looks like it will be good for my scrap bin!

Anonymous said...

I really like this one. Good way to use some scraps. Thank you for sharing. If you have time, please check out my blog kiki-itssewkiki.blogspot.com. Consider becoming a follower. I'm a newbie and really appreciate the support and encouragement! Thanks

Kiera